You may find the URL shortening service Bit.ly not working for you this morning.
It seems that there has been a security breach of some kind that has left account credentials compromised, Bitly CEO Mark Josephson writes on the Bitly blog
We have reason to believe that Bitly account credentials have been compromised. We have no indication at this time that any accounts have been accessed without permission. For our users’ protection, we have taken proactive steps to ensure the security of all accounts, including disconnecting all users’ Facebook and Twitter accounts. All users can safely reconnect these accounts at their next login.
Bitly have taken the proactive step of invalidating all Facebook & Twitter credentials, so even though you may see your social accounts listed in your Bitly account, they won’t be connected.
Instructions on how to reset your security token and API key are:
- Log in to your account and click on ‘Your Settings,’ then the ‘Advanced’ tab.
- At the bottom of the ‘Advanced’ tab, select ‘Reset’ next to ‘Legacy API key.’
- Copy down your new API key and change it in all applications. These can include social publishers, share buttons and mobile apps.
- Go to the ‘Profile’ tab and reset your password.
- Disconnect and reconnect any applications that use Bitly. You can check which accounts are connected under the ‘Connected Accounts’ tab in ‘Your Settings.’
You can read more on the Bitly Blog here and remember, Friday is always a good day to review your accounts, authorised applications and passwords.